Welcome to the Transportation Office
Our prime concern in creating routes and bus stops is to provide safe and efficient transportation for the school community. Central Office is responsible for the day-to-day functions and administration of all school bus services. Bus routes are based on student enrollment and eligibility and may vary each school year. Students are assigned to bus stops as determined by their residence and in order to ensure accountability for all our students, assigned buses and stops must be strictly adhered to. It is the district's practice that bus arrangements for eligible students are managed at the school building level and must be followed as the safety and security of our students is of utmost importance. Additional information is published in the Student Handbooks. The current school year bus routes can be accessed via the links on the right side of this page.
Waltham Public Schools Bus Routes
How will my student get to and from school?Per School Committee policy, school bus transportation will be provided for students as follows:
- Grades K - 8: Students living more than one and one-half miles from school.
- Grades 9 - 12: Students living more than two miles from school.
The Minuteman Bus will depart Waltham High School at 7:30am. Minuteman students should refer to WPS Bus Routes to take a WPS bus to the High School, then transfer to the Minuteman Bus. Please check the most recent posted bus routes for any updates to this service.
- If the bus or van is late or didn't show up: the transportation company
- If your child missed the bus: your child's school
- To file a complaint about the buses: your child's School Principal
- To request a change to a bus stop: your child's School Principal
- If your child's transportation needs have changed: your child's School Principal
- With questions about out of district transportation: the Special Education Department
- With questions about private school or Minuteman transportation: the Transportation Office
School Bus Disciplinary Code
The School Department needs the cooperation of both student and parent/guardian to insure proper behavior and safety while riding school busses. Only on rare occasions has it been necessary to deny bus privileges to students for improper behavior. For your information, the policy for behavior on school busses is listed below.
Reports of misconduct while waiting for or leaving the bus will be investigated by the school principal or his/her designee. Poor conduct on school busses will result in notification from the bus company to the principal. Upon receipt of a written or verbal complaint from the bus company, the principal (or designee) will utilize this procedure:
- First Offense: A letter shall be sent to the parents, from the principal of the school the student attends, advising the parent of the misbehavior.
- Second Offense: Bus privileges may be revoked for a two-week period and parents shall be so notified by the principal of the school the student attends.
- Third Offense: Transportation privileges may be taken away from the student for the remainder of the school year and the parents shall be so notified by the principal of the school the student attends.
PLEASE NOTE: Route start times have been updated and new routes are highlighted in color. This information is subject to change.
MBTA Student Pass Program
What is the MBTA student pass program?
The Student Program is program offered to middle and high schools to assist students with obtaining reduced rate passes.
Eligible students must be between the age of 12 and 22 and enrolled in a Massachusetts middle school, junior high, or high school in order to qualify.
How do I request an MBTA Student Pass?
To request a student MBTA pass complete the online request form. Your pass will be available for pick up in your house office or middle school main office approximately 2-3 school days from when your order was placed.
How Much do Student Passes Cost?
Students have the option to use the S-Card for "Pay As You Go" discounted fares (50% discounted rate) or add a monthly pass to the cards at Fare Vending Machines at a price of $30 a month. Please note that the S-Card monthly student pass is valid for bus, subway, Express Bus, but NOT Commuter Rail.
How do I activate my MBTA Pass?
Students with Stored Value cards can add value at any MBTA sales device (e.g., vending machines, retail sales locations, etc.).