ONLINE Kindergarten Registration for 2018-2019 will open on January 2, 2018
Please read the following information carefully and when you're ready, just click the blue button above to get started!
Online registration is available for NEW Kindergarten students only. If your child has previously registered, enrolled or receives services with Waltham Public Schools, please complete the paper forms and either attend Walk-In Registration Night or schedule an appointment with PIC.
A valid email address will be required to use the online form and set up your Plus Portals account. Parents with existing PlusPortals accounts, please login with your current username and password when prompted.
**Paper versions of the New Student Registration Forms will also be accepted and are available for printing off this section of the website. Please complete these forms in their entirety and bring them, along with the required documentation, to either one of the scheduled Document Drop-Off/Walk-In Registration Nights or to your scheduled appointment at the Parent Information Center.
Kindergarten Registration Requirements
Children may enroll in Kindergarten with the Waltham Public Schools if they have reached 5 years of age on or before September 1 of the new school year.
Each year the Parent Information Center gathers demographic information for age eligible children from both the city census and several area preschools. Information on Kindergarten Registration is then sent to those families, our elementary families, other community organizations and also posted on our website. This communication is usually sent out about 3-4 weeks ahead of any scheduled registration events. You are welcome to contact us to confirm that your child is on our list.
Kindergarten Registration will most often begin in either late January or early February of each year. At the conclusion of the announced registration events, additional kindergarten registrations will be taken by appointment. Please contact the Parent Information Center to schedule!
- Proof of Birth for the child (birth certificate -OR- passport)
- Proof of Guardianship/ Photo ID (state driver's license, state ID, passport and if applicable, custody forms)
- Proof of Residency (Waltham quarterly tax bill, lease agreement or residency affidavit form)
- Immunization Records:
- Hepatitis B - 3 doses
- DTP - 5 doses
- Polio - 4 doses
- MMR - 2 doses
- Varicella (chicken pox) - 2 doses or record of natural disease documented by a physician
- Lead test results (date and results, including the number)
- Physical Exam (dated within 12 months to the start of school)
- Vision screening including the Stereopsis exam with results
*Please note your child will not be cleared for school enrollment until their immunization records have been reviewed for compliance by a school nurse and lead test results have been received.
Dual Language Community Information Meetings:
These meetings typically occur in January of each year and are open to ALL incoming Kindergarten Families. They serve to provide you a chance to learn all about Waltham's Dual Language Program and how to sign your child up for the Dual Language Lottery! We encourage you to attend as many as you like!
The dates & times of the meetings in January 2018 are:
- Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:15-8:00pm at Whittemore Elementary School
- Thursday, January 18, 2018 6:15-8:00pm at MacArthur Elementary School
The date & time of the lottery to select families for the 2018-19 Dual Language Program is:
- Thursday, March 29, 2018 - Time is TBD
To participate in the lottery, parents must have:
1. Registered your child for Kindergarten on or before March 29, 2018
2. Notified a PIC staff member of your wish to participate before 3:00PM on March 29,2018
2018-19 Kindergarten Document Drop-Off (for Online Registrations) & Walk-in Registration Nights:
Parent/Guardian(s) may drop-in anytime between 5:30pm - 8:30pm
- Plympton Elementary, 40 Farnsworth Street - Tuesday, January 30, 2018
- FitzGerald Elementary, 140 Beal Road - Wednesday, January 31, 2018
- MacArthur Elementary, 494 Lincoln Street - Tuesday, February 6, 2018
- Northeast Elementary, 70 Putney Lane - Wednesday, February 7, 2018
- Whittemore Elementary, 30 Parmenter Road - Tuesday, February 13, 2018
- Stanley Elementary, 250 South Street - Thursday, February 15, 2018
If you are unable to attend one of the nights above, please contact us to schedule an appointment.
2018-19 Kindergarten Visitation Dates:
Kindergarten Visitation Day is an opportunity for parents and incoming Kindergartners to visit the school. After welcomes and introductions, the children will go with the K-Teachers to participate in various activities while their parents will meet as a group with the school principal for a brief presentation and chance to ask any questions. Please make note of your child's K-Visitation Day and check back often for any updates!
FitzGerald Elementary: Friday, June 1, 2018 9:30-11:00am
MacArthur Elementary: Monday, June 4, 2018 10:00-11:00am
Northeast Elementary: Friday, June 1, 2018 10:00-11:30am
Plympton Elementary: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 10:00-11:00am
Stanley Elementary: Thursday, June 7, 2018 10:00-11:00am
Whittemore Elementary: Thursday, June 7, 2018 10:00-11:00am
Dual Language School: TBD
Appointments for the DIAL-4 Kindergarten Screenings for all incoming K-students, and if applicable, the WIDA MODEL English Language Assessments will be scheduled and provided to parents during your child's K-Visitation Day. These screenings will take place on August 28, 29 & 30, 2018.
The first day of school for both Pre-K & Kindergarten students will be Tuesday, September 4, 2018!
Monday-Friday: 8:00 am-4:00 pm
School Vacation Weeks: 9:00 am-4:00 pm