Welcome to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Program
All homeless children must have full and equal opportunity to succeed in schools and receive educational services
Liason: Shelly Chin / firstname.lastname@example.org
p: (781) 314-5483 / f: (781) 314-5695
Community Resources in the Waltham and Greater Boston Areas may be found here.
Individuals who are eligible to receive services under this program include children and youth who:
Do not have a permanent home
- Live in motels, hotels, trailer parks or camping grounds
- Live in State Care or Custody
- Live in cars, parks, public places, abandoned buildings, substandard buildings, or similar settings
- Share housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardships, or a similar reason
- Are considered an unaccompanied youth (youth not in physical custody of a parent or guardian)
The Waltham Public Schools will immediately enroll homeless students, even if he/she is unable to produce records usually required for enrollment, such as previous academic records, medical records, or proof of residency.
If you meet any of the eligibility requirements please contact the Waltham Public School's McKinney-Vento Liaison to discuss your rights and protections under this federal program.
Rights include the following:
- Homeless students have a right to either remain in their school of origin or to attend school where they are temporarily residing;
- Students who choose to remain in their school of origin have the right to remain there until the end of the school year in which they get permanent housing;
- Homeless Liaison or Designee must assist students who arrive without records, if needed, by contacting the previously attended school system to obtain the required records;
- School enrollments and offerings will ensure that the homeless students are neither isolated nor stigmatized. They will not be segregated in a separate program within a school.
- Homeless students are entitled to full participation in all school sponsored events and programs.
- Homeless students will be enrolled immediately in the free lunch program (and breakfast if offered)
Additional information regarding the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Program may be found on the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education website.