Web Publishing Guidelines
The "official" web site for the district and each school resides at www.walthampublicschools.org.
Content of the Website
- The Waltham Public Schools recognizes the educational benefits of publishing information on the Internet by school personnel.
- The pages should comply with Waltham Public Schools policies.
- Information on a page should remain current and be accurate.
- All pages that contain current information such as calendars, events etc. must be updated at least monthly.
- Business/commercial links or the acknowledgment of a business on a school web site should be restricted to business partners and/or materials that are educational, provide technical support, or are germane to the philosophy of the school. Advertising of commercial offerings is forbidden.
- Content should be appropriate, in good taste, and not harmful to any individual or group.
- Text should be grammatically correct, accurately spelled, and have a pleasing appearance.
- Links should be checked periodically for "dead links."
- Text underlining should be used sparingly, if not at all.
- Lengthy pages should be divided logically into sub-pages.
- Every graphic or image must have an associated and meaningful (ALT) tag
- Student’s personal information such as full name, home address, e-mail address, personal web address or telephone/cell number may not be published on public websites.
- Students and their parent/guardian have the option to opt out of having the student’s picture or work posted to the web for the following scenarios:
- If a child is clearly recognizable in the picture;
- If a child is singled out in a picture with accompanying text that identifies him/her; and
- If work attributed to a child is posted on a web page.
- The business address, business telephone number and business email address of staff members are public information thus they may be published without prior permission of the staff member. Any other personally identifiable information about a staff member should not be published without prior permission from the staff member.
- All teacher and staff professional websites must reflect the high educational standards of the Waltham Public Schools. There may be no links from a teacher's or staff member's professional website to his or her personal website or to other websites of a non-educational nature except with permission from the Principal, the Curriculum Director or the Superintendent of Schools.
- Published copyrighted materials must include the permission granted statement (who, time period, etc.). Documents should be available to validate published information.
- All web publishers are responsible to comply with applicable copyright and intellectual property laws. This relates to any information copied or obtained from other sources. Material copied from other web pages should not be used without obtaining the prior permission of the author of the page and must be cited. Material from software owned by the school such as clip art, electronic publications, etc. should not be used without prior permission of the author unless the licensing agreement for the product specifically allows such use. Please remember that what might qualify as fair use in the classroom under existing copyright law will not necessarily meet the test of fair use when publishing to the web.