Some ideas to try....
- Be thoughtful and purposeful in the use of academic/school related language such as direction giving and content specific vocabulary
- Be mindful of slang or colloquialisms in teacher and classmates' speech
- Use concrete objects, models and demonstrations to support instruction
- Provide visual cues to support understanding
- Build in movement, rhythm and repetition to support retention
- Analyze and evaluate instructional methods considering readability, content, length, format, cultural orientation, and illustrations/visuals.
- Use the writing strategies included in balance literacy programs such as shared writing, integrate writing, guided writing and short independent writing sessions in the early years of developing English language skills,