|MacArthur News||Important Dates||Past Newsletters|
|@MacALibrary||Contact Administration||Contact Staff|
|Library Catalog||Current Events||Past Events|
Welcome to the MacArthur School
The Best Place to Learn
Kindergarten Registration has been rescheduled to Wednesday, February 25, 2014
please visit http://www.walthampublicschools.org/picregK.cfm for more information
What Matters at MacArthur?
Have a look at the pictures from our recent Morning Meeting on Effort!
Mrs. Zocco leads the first grade to the auditorium.
Kindergarteners waiting patiently.
The Fourth Grade presents their skits depicting Effort in Action at MacArthur!
CLICK THIS IMAGE
Click the image above to see the video made by 5th grade students to explain RESPONSIBILITY to MacArthur.
MacArthur Matters is our School-Wide Character Development Program.
We believe that with Respect, Responsibility, Effort, Cooperation, and Caring that we can truly make MacArthur the Best Place to Learn.
Important Information for All Parents and Volunteers
Please be advised that any and all persons employed by, contracting with or volunteering in the Waltham Public Schools are subject to a CORI report. In addition, due to recent changes in Massachusetts State Law, all staff and chaperones are required to be fingerprinted per MA state law. For more information please view this document.
Food Allergy Alert: As the new school year begins, we are reminding all parents that we have a number of students in our school who have life-threatening food allergies. As a result, we must remind you of the established policy that no food or candy of any kind should be sent to school to be shared or distributed to students in any classroom in grades K-5. We ask your cooperation and compliance with this policy.
|Jan. 13th||City-Wide PTO Meeting||WHS - 7:00 pm|
|Jan. 16th||Early Release Day||Dismissal Time is 1:00 pm|
|Jan. 19th||Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday||No School|
|Jan. 20th||MacArthur PTO||Library - 7:00pm|
|Jan. 21st||Restaurant Night at Papa Gino’s||Flyers will be sent home|
|Jan. 29th||Paint 'n' Pour Fundraiser||7:00 pm Adult Participation Only|
MacArthur's Hour of Code
Reminder about Changes in Student Daily Dismissal plans:
We realize that at times it is necessary to make a change in how students are going home. We ask that if you know that your child will be picked up rather than take the bus or vice versa, that you please notify the office as early in the day as possible. The best procedure is to send a note to the teacher that day and the teacher will forward the note to the office to inform the secretary. If that is not possible, please call Mrs. Santana as soon as you can to notify her of the change so she can inform the teacher. Please make every effort to call before 2:00 p.m. In this way we are sure to be able to notify both the teacher and student of the dismissal change.
The office is very hectic at the end of the day and the earlier we are notified of dismissal changes, the smoother dismissal will be. Also, please do not send an email to the teacher about dismissal changes. Very often teachers are unable to check their email during the day as they are busy teaching. When this happens and emails are not read, the school is unaware of the dismissal change. Finally, please remember if you send another person to pick up your child, that person must be listed on your emergency form or we cannot release the child. Also, please make sure the person picking up brings an ID so we can insure the person picking up is the person you authorized to do so. Thanks for your cooperation with this policy.
Parent drop-off and pick-up procedures:
If you are transporting your child to and/or from school by car, please follow the procedures outlined below:
For morning drop off:
Students who are being dropped off must exit their car using the passenger side door. Drop-off on the driver’s side is extremely dangerous as a car may be attempting to pass by, possibly resulting in an injury to a student.
- The primary drop off is the parking area closest to Lincoln Street. Vehicles should pull up to the crosswalk to let students out so they can proceed safely through our crosswalks and into school.
- When and if the primary parking/drop off area backs up onto Lincoln Street, students may be dropped off in the second parking area. Vehicles should stop just before the crosswalk to let students out, so vehicles don’t interfere with students crossing from the primary drop off area. Vehicles should not be dropping students off one, two, three or more car lengths away from the crosswalk. Also, please do not park in the second parking area, as it is designated for staff only.
- Student should be dropped off as close to 8:25 as possible and no students should be arriving to school before 8:15. Outside supervision does not begin until 8:25 and students are let into the building at 8:35.
- In good weather students will line up by grade level just outside the school entrance. During inclement or very cold weather, students will line up inside the school.
It is extremely important that students arrive to school on time! Children arriving in classrooms after 8:42am are marked tardy and must sign in at the office before going to their classroom. Parents are encouraged to say goodbye to their children outside of the building and should report to the office to sign in and request permission if they need to go to the classroom for any reason.
For afternoon pick up:
- Students that are picked up from school are dismissed from class at 3 pm. and will arrive outside by 3:05.
- Due to increase in students being transported by bus or van to MacArthur School, we are using the front entrance way for other dismissal purposes and parents are asked to wait outside for their child or children to arrive.
- All parking should be in the parking lot closest to the Lincoln Street. Vehicles should not be parking in the staff parking lot or along exit or entrance ways. This presents a danger for cars and children alike.
- Parents must get out of their vehicles to meet students who will be walked to the meeting area in between the staff parking area and the parent pick-up parking area (there are several black benches in this area). We will no longer hand off children right outside the school entrance.
- Please take your time when pulling out of your parking spot. In an effort to save a few minutes, you may endanger a child or adult by leaving too quickly.